Saturday 31 October 2015

MODERDAY SLAVERY

Today I'm going to present an issue which is unwelcome to talk about it. Who wants to think about slaves and slavery? We live in twenty first century which is related with freedom, wealth and development. Not many people wish reflect on old-fashioned concepts like slave, subject, slavery, master, whip...However, does it really belong in the past?

Unfortunately, for me it isn't so obvious. I'm not going to broach a situation in the Third World (although this term could be another topic). I'm going to reflect about European situation and I warn you it won't be an optimistic post.

Recently, they are talking not only about European economic crisis but also identity crisis. I will focus on Polish situation. In Poland, many people (young and not only) have 'junk' job contract. They haven't a pensionable pay so they live with insecurity. Concerning conditions in these factories sometimes you must service, for example, two machines once. It isn't a reality only in factory. I know in some chain stores you mustn't go to the toilet when you need. Why? You have a break and it is a time for eat something and go to the toilet.


When you heard about cases like these, it's highly like it comes to mind that there is slavery but under a veil. „Junk” employment contract poses a urgent problem and politics should tackle it. When I'm thinking about it I can't agree with Gandhi's quote „Freedom and slavery are mental states”. Nowadays, in many cases, you have a (poor,exploitative) work or you haven't, but you have to support you and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment